Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Incidents in the life of a slave girl lit response

Markeia Scruggs
Period 2
2 page lit response
“Incidents in the life of a slave girl” takes place during the time of slavery, hence the name. Linda Brent, the author, tells the story of her life as a slave. She also highlights the ups and downs of her childhood. Her work was authenticated by Lydia Maria Child, a white woman; therefore, it is open to the public. She wrote this painful autobiography in hopes of contributing to the antislavery movement.
“READER, be assured this narrative is no fiction. I am aware that some of my adventures may seem incredible; but they are, nevertheless, strictly true. I have not exaggerated the wrongs inflicted by Slavery; on the contrary, my descriptions fall far short of the facts.” the text states. She opens with these strong words in an attempt to appeal to the pathos of her readers. She is mainly attempting to appeal to the pathos of her white readers to inform them of the authenticity of her work. As a slave, she knows that her white readers will doubt her work, so she opens by telling her white audience that her work is true.
“When he told me that I was made for his use, made to obey his command in every thing; that I was nothing but a slave, whose will must and should surrender to his, never before had my puny arm felt half so strong.” Brent states. Even though Brent knows that Dr. Flint is legal authority over her, she still has the power to oppose. His pushing drives her to become rebellious and affects her future as well. She realizes at this point that Dr. Flint owns her physical being, but she is spiritually free of any shackles.
Brent states, “Reader, my story ends with freedom; not in the usual way, with marriage. I and my children are now free! We are as free from the power of slave holders as are the white people of the north; and though that, according to my ideas, is not saying a great deal, it is a vast improvement in my condition.” Her story doesn’t end with a wedding. It does end with freedom though. Brent makes the point in her autobiography that slaves can’t be judged by to the laws and morals of the liberated world.
“Incidents in the life of a slave girl” explains the life ordeals of a slave girl named Linda Brent. She goes through many things in her life to eventually find freedom. The corruptive power of slavery was obviously evident in the story. Many important lessons were learned through the tribulations of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment